Monday, June 4, 2012

Middle Of The Road




Hey y'all -

Yesterday, Missoula closed down the main drag downtown and turned it into one big pedestrian walkway for the day. Shops and organizations had set up all sorts of fun activities along the way, so this was one of those times when it really pays to live in a town of insufferably healthy, outdoorsy people. I am outdoorsy in my own way: I can really get behind the idea of drinking a cocktail in a lawn chair. I'd probably have another, but the fridge is so faaaarr.


They had tubs of sidewalk chalk, so anyone and everyone could draw on Higgins St.  Your doctor happened to stroll by as Laney was tracing my hand with blue chalk. When Laney was done, I moved my hand, leaving behind the outline of someone suffering from Elephantiasis of the fingers. Laney: "Look Mom! Is your hand!" I told Dr. Hoover, "Don't worry. I'm going to make an appointment with you to get that looked at."



There were musical instruments set up, and of course everyone wanted to play the drums. By looking at the time stamp on this photo, I can tell you exactly when Hagen decided to quit napping. It was the same moment you started banging the hell out of the cymbals like you were wrapping up "Freebird."


 

They also had a bucket of various flutes and whistles, and you had a community penny whistle in your mouth before we could stop you. I could actually hear the other assembled moms saying, "Ewww..." Grandma Sue announced, "This tent was obviously set up by men with no children." I would have said, "Now, let's not jump to conclusions and start tossing out stereotypes," had what she said not been 100% true.



At the far end of the street, Laney's former gymnastics school had set up mats and a parallel bar, and we pretty much camped there for half an hour. The very same activities Laney didn't care about when they were part of a $15/hr class were all of a sudden the most amazing fun EVER when they were free on the side of the road. 



Thanks for a great day, Missoula.

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment