Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Lieutenant Dad




Hey y'all -

Big day for the family today. After much soul-searching and even more paperwork, your dad decided to join the Naval Reserve. If you ask him, he'll tell you that he's missed the feeling of contributing to something greater than himself.



Because I thought it was a momentous occasion for our family, I loaded both of you in the car and drove us to the Missoula County Courthouse so we could all watch your dad get sworn back into the service by his friend Lt Col Pete Graf, Ret.





It took your dad two hours to put together all the elements of his dress uniform, and 38 seconds to take the oath.

If you'd asked me yesterday how I felt about it, I would have described myself as conflicted: incredibly proud of him, but also worried about picking up the parenting slack while he's away. But after watching him take his oath of office today, I'm no longer conflicted. He just seemed so darn happy to raise his right hand and swear to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States. And when you really love somebody, you give them whatever support they need to chase their happiness.

Unless they want to do something dumb.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment