Sunday, May 15, 2011

Graduation Day



Dear Laney,

Yesterday, your dad graduated (with high honors) from grad school. I don't think I've ever been so proud. Peg Peg and Tex watched you while Grandma Sue and I went to the ceremony in Grizzly Stadium. We were so far up in the stands that we couldn't spot your dad, so I just took a whole mess of medium-range photos, figuring that we could find him "Where's Waldo?"-style when we got home. For being a completely stupid plan, it sort of worked:


At the beginning of the ceremony, three members of the Blackfoot Tribe performed a warrior song that they likened to their version of the national anthem.* I know this is probably the most culturally insensitive thing I will say all day, but our phone and internet service at home are provided by Blackfoot Telecommunications. Every time our internet goes down, I imagine these are the guys responsible:


Tom Brokaw was the commencement speaker, and he was exceptional.


This was the moment that your dad's degree was conferred - In the 2-hr ceremony, these were the important 30 seconds:


The rest of the family (including you) joined us at the Geography Dept where they actually handed your dad his degree.


After graduation, we all came back to our house for barbecue and an ice cream cake, and so your Uncle Nate could teach you How Not To Go Down The Slide.



It was an exciting and important day for our family, and I think we'll remember it always.

Love,
Mom

* Speaking of national anthems, if I'm ever elected President, I will insist that our national anthem be changed from the "Star Spangled Banner" to "America, the Beautiful" as performed by Ray Charles. You're welcome in advance, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment