Sunday, May 1, 2011

Weekend At The Lake



Dear Laney,

Just for kicks, we decided to spend the weekend at the Coeur D'Alene Resort. Your dad and I have both been working a lot lately, and thought that a fun getaway would be good for the whole family.

Sure, the resort featured a 5-star restaurant and a golf course with a floating green (you have to get on a boat to play through - crazy). But let me tell you what rocked YOUR little world: we stayed in a wheelchair-accessible room, so all of the light switches were two feet off the ground. Your favorite combination of activities: Open the bathroom door. Turn on lights. Tear off two feet of toilet paper. Put it in the toilet. Flush. Turn off light. Close bathroom door. Repeat. I try to tell Peg Peg that she doesn't need to take you to Disney World. She could simply take you to the handicapped restroom at Target and tell you it's Disney World. Baby is happy. Grandmother saves oodles of money.

Speaking of grandmas, Sue and Erik drove over and met us at the hotel so we could tour the shops of downtown and attend the "Wine Extravaganza" - B.Y.O.Baby


This is you on the shopping center's wheelchair ramp. See? We could tell you it was Space Mountain, and you'd never know.


At the downtown toy store, you barricaded yourself in the middle of a bunch of revolving displays of personalized stickers and key chains. You would not be lured out, even with the promise of all the chocolate in Grandma Sue's purse. Eventually, I had to heave a display of miniature vanity license plates out of the way so I could get in there far enough to drag your butt out. Holy Schmoly did that make you mad.

Even in the face of such crappy behavior on your part, I bought you a stuffed horse because it was on sale for $5. Tantrum or no, you can't argue with that kind of clearance. Also, it was worth the $5 to watch your dad ride it in public.



Let me say this: you are a baby that will not be seen in a stroller. (What do you people think I am? A baby!?!) Having a toddler insist on walking everywhere while holding a stuffed horse between her legs really slowed our roll.

We hit the hotel pool before dinner, which you adored. You loved jumping to me from the side of the big kid pool (always doing a pre-jump count of "Uh"...."Oooh"... "Eeee!"), then we played in the 18" deep wading pool where you could walk around in the water with the other little kids. Peg Peg had sent you a new bathing suit, and I was wearing one that was so ancient the straps behind my neck popped apart while we were playing and revealed my boobages to everyone at the pool. In the split second it took for me to cover myself up, you slipped in the pool and fell underwater. Here's how you know I love you: I dropped my suit to pick you up and whisk you to safety. Sure, half of downtown Coeur D'Alene has seen me topless, but you don't have water in your lungs, so we're calling it a win.


After swimming, you toweled off and headed to a slumber party at Grandma Sue's house, where you curled each other's hair and talked about boys and sang "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee," or whatever it is you guys do when I'm not around.

You were SO good all weekend that you got to split an ice cream sandwich with Dad on the way home.


Thanks for the good time, family!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment