Friday, March 23, 2012

The Chart


Dear Laney,

If I had to choose the greatest parenting idea I've had since giving birth to you, I would not hesitate to name The Chart.

While it's possible to get you to do most of the things we need you to do, there were three activities that you always met with great resistance: Brushing your teeth, remembering to take off your pants to use the bathroom, and shampooing your hair.

Brushing your teeth was the worst. We'd walk you into the bathroom, where you'd clamp your hands over your mouth and start crying real tears. If we got the Dora toothpaste into your mouth, you'd shout IS TOO SPICY!! and throw yourself on the ground. Finally, I posted on my facebook page that I was looking for advice on how to get a toddler to brush her teeth. I was amazed at the number of responses (30+) I got from old high school and college friends who now have small children. To quote Hank Williams, Jr., "All my rowdy friends have settled down."

I got ideas from my one friend with disposable income:


From my friend who obviously has no children of her own:

And my cousin, who obviously does have children, and also believes in tough love:


(on this one, I couldn't tell if her girls grew to like brushing their teeth, or being straddled by their mama on the bathroom floor).

In the end, I decided to appeal to your competitive instinct, and I created this chart, with photos on the left of the things I'd like to you to do, and photos on the right of the things you'll earn if you do them. For each time you did the activity pictured on the left, you'd earn a sticker that got you closer to the prize on the right.

7 tooth brushings gets you a ride on the carousel. 7 "number twos" in the potty gets you a trip to the playground. 7 shampoos, and you get to go swimming.



Maybe it'll be clearer for our readers if YOU explain it:


You end this demonstration by saying, "Now we can have snacks! Everybody wants snacks!" Yes, but probably not in the bathroom.

The chart has been a runaway success, and you've been asking - no, begging - me to brush your teeth. You tried to shampoo your own hair! And when you run out of the bathroom with your pants around your ankles, screaming, "I NEED A STICKER!!!" we know the score.

I have yet to win the war, but this week, I won the battle.

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment