Monday, March 19, 2012

Mom Gets A Hobby


Dear Hagen,

This past weekend, I went to a photography workshop. Mostly, I went because my friend Meghan was teaching it, but also because I figured that it would be a great way to meet a handful of other young moms. If you live in the boonies and you work from home, your social opportunities are a tad limited. My third-highest priority was learning something about the Nikon DSLR camera your dad bought while stationed in Japan, and refers to as his "spoils of war."

I am notoriously lazy when it comes to learning new things. I completely admire how your dad will pick up a new hobby and fiddle and fret over it until it's mastered. I am the opposite. Today, I opened an instruction booklet in front of Laney, and as I started looking at the step-by-step guide to assembling a Tinkerbell kite, she yelled, "THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!" This tells me that I've yelled that phrase so many times that she's memorized it, the same way she's memorized, "This program has been brought to you by the Corporation For Public Broadcasting and viewers like you!!" at the end of Sesame Street.

Imagine my surprise that I actually paid attention to the lesson and didn't stop tinkering with the camera until I had figured out what all the little doohickeys and whozeewhatsits are for. I came home and immediately starting shooting a ton of practice photos.

Since you're the least mobile AND most cooperative member of our family, I spent a lot of time taking your picture yesterday.








When I was pregnant with you, everyone went out of their way to tell me, "Sure, you've taken a zillion pictures of Laney, and kept up with a blog, but when you have this second one, you'll quit taking so many pictures, and the blog will probably go away entirely." As it turns out, those people - and they know who they are - were wrong, my little friend.

I have not yet begun to fight.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment