Saturday, March 24, 2012

We Are Not Those People




Hey y'all,

There are several rules to being a Southern Methodist. You have to fry a decent chicken. You have to advertise every activity as involving "Food, Fun and Fellowship!" You have to complain at great length about how sore you are on Sunday morning after working in your yard on Saturday. And once a year, you have to dress your children up in fancy outfits and hair bows the size of Texas and take their Easter picture.

To pull off that kind of Easter picture requires people with the gift of forethought, who own those kind of hair bows, are on top of their laundry situation, and can be patient while posing small children.

We are not those people.

I love, respect and admire those people, but we are not those people. I don't think I should be expected to dress you up in cute summery clothes when there's still a few feet of snow on the ground. Instead, I decided to let you pick your own outfits.

Hagen seems happiest when he's nekkid, so I tried to take pictures of him in the warm living room, but it's so dark in here that I couldn't get the light right. The brightest thing we have is a 60W bulb, so I might as well have been trying to light a romantic dinner at Red Lobster.


Laney chose a patterned sweater, a polar beat hat, a tutu from the dress-up box, and snow boots. She started out with some camouflage flats, but even she agreed they weren't snow-worthy.







You know who was the best-behaved photo subject? Ella.
Did I have a pocket full of gouda? Yes.


Maybe when it gets sunny outside, and my yard has more grass than snow, I will attempt this Easter photo shoot again. Expect another round of photos mid-July.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment