Saturday, March 10, 2012

Open And Shut


Dear Laney,

You've just finished your first week of preschool, and there's no doubt in my mind that enrolling you in school was one of the best decisions we've made so far as parents... even though you refer to it in excited tones as, "That Place With The Cereal?!?" Every day, you've come home singing a new song you learned at school.

A few days ago, you came home singing a song we had never heard before called, "Open and Shut." There's a series of hand movements that go along with this song, and after your bath, you decided you would try to teach them to your dad. Trying to teach your dad choreography is like trying to teach me math beyond the 7th grade level: It ain't gonna happen.

I filmed a few minutes of your lesson, and what I think you were trying to tell him is that for the first verse, you don't use hands at all, you just sing with your mouth, but he wasn't figuring it out.


It's the "I'm tired of this game," at the end that really makes this clip sing for me.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

  1. Sounds to me like a classic toddler rendition of "Open Them, Shut Them" (open them, shut them, give a little clap, open them, shut them, open them, shut them, put them in your lap) after which most toddlers (in my daycare experience) proceed to ignore the instructions and attack one another. I would just have you all be aware of who is sitting close by in case this is indeed her plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the tip! I was able to google it and figure out how the song's supposed to go, and now I'll be able to dazzle everyone with my advanced, practiced moves. It's like that episode of "Designing Women" when Charlene and Suzanne stole the Trivial Pursuit game and memorized all the cards so they'd look smarter. Side note: of all the billions of people in the world, I think this woman makes the list of Folks I'd LEAST Like To Have A Beer With:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGFTJ_uLvJA

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are looking for other candidates, I dare you to google Dr. Jean (at your own risk, of course, AND while your child is out of earshot... she is likely to love her and then you're doomed).

    ReplyDelete