Friday, July 27, 2012

The Patient




Hey y'all -

On Wednesday, Gus had an awful seizure. It happens about once a year, and is a semi-common trait in Huskies, and he normally pops up and acts like nothing's wrong - nothing to see here.

But yesterday, he didn't know who I was or where we were, so I loaded him up in the car and drove him to the Vet Clinic. Lifting an 80-something-pound dog who seemed to have no idea what a Subaru is or why he'd want to get in one was tougher than I thought it would be.

The vet diagnosed him with possible epilepsy and a possible heart condition. Basically, they don't know anything, but are keeping him there for a few days to check it out.

My theory is that Ella finally drove him nuts, and he just needed a break for a few days.

In the Larry McMurtry book Texasville*, banker Lester Marlowe - who loaned out all of his bank's assets right before the Texas oil bust - says, "I'm just looking for a quiet place to have a nervous breakdown."

I think that's Gus.

I also think that when we get the vet bill, I'm going to wish I'd'a just checked him in to the Hilton.

But I'll keep you posted.

Love,
Mom


* I'll confess that I like the sequel Texasville more than The Last Picture Show, in the same way I like Velveeta more than feta. I know it's supposed to be good for me, but I just can't make myself do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment