Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What We're Capable Of




Hey y'all -

Grandma Sue stayed with us last Saturday night on her way to visit Spokane. Being the generous soul that she is, she suggested that your dad and I go into town for a date night while she watched you guys.

The problem with her suggestion was that your dad and I were just too dang tired. Hagen's going through what we're assuming is a growth spurt and is waking up every hour on the hour to tell us about it. I spend whole work days holding him with my left hand while typing with my right, all trying to disguise the fact that I have a baby from any of my employers who might call.

Stop me if you've heard this one:

A few weeks ago, I had a Skype (web cam) meeting with the heads of the underwear company I work with. When I logged on, the program told me I had an outdated version of the software, and would only be able to use audio, but not video. Fine - they can't see me. Even better. So as I pitched my ideas for the upcoming campaign, I stood in front of my laptop, jiggling Hagen and silently willing him to keep quiet. As he started to fuss, I considered my options, until I heard, "You're not going to nurse that kid, are you?"

Well, not now. Not now that I know you can see me.

So like I was saying, your dad and I are tired all the time. If asked what would be more difficult: Getting dressed, brushing my hair, hunting up some lipstick, driving to town, engaging in sparkling conversation, and driving back home OR climbing Mt. Everest, I would have answered, "Eh, about the same."



In the end, we put a pint of ice cream, a box of wine and a blanket in a shopping bag and walked 50 feet to the creek, where we had dessert, pretended to be free of the responsibility of parenting, but mostly tried not to fall asleep sitting up.

Because that's what we're capable of (if only barely).

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment