Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How Your Mama's Mind Works


Dear Laney,

Today, you and your dad had lunch at Bernice's Bakery and went to the hardware store while I had my hair cut. After I came out of the salon, I waited on the sidewalk for you and Dad to pick me up. And that's when I saw a deer - a buck, even - leisurely making his way across the street in downtown Missoula. He was just ambling along across the road, as if he was on his way to Safeway to pick up some last-minute groceries for Thanksgiving.

And that's when I swear I thought all of the following things, in this order:

1) I could chase him down, throw an arm around his neck and wrestle him down to the ground.

2) 'Course, I'd have to hold him 'til Thor got here, because he's the one with the hunting license.

3) But if Thor doesn't have a gun in the truck, the whole thing would just be embarrassing.

Yeah, Points #1 and #2 (the chasing and wrestling a deer in downtown Missoula and pinning it down while I waited on my carpool) seemed like perfectly acceptable behavior in my mind, until I got to Point #3.

I have obviously lived here too long.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment