Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother Of All Days


Hey y'all -

Yesterday was Mother's Day. Hagen woke me up at 4am, demanding to be fed. Laney woke me up a little after 6am, demanding breakfast and cartoons. For my present, she gave me a painted rock and a tiny terra cotta pot filled with dirt... I presume something she planted at school. Dad reminded Laney, "Why don't you give Mom her cards?" Laney proceeded to open both of my cards, toss them at me, announce, "That's all your mails. I go watch a movie now" and hop off of the bed. The end. I looked at your father and said, "Let me tell you what I hope is planted in this pot..."

We had lunch at Grandma Sue's house; the weather was lovely, so we grilled out and Hagen got a chance to take a nap in the spring breeze.






After lunch, Laney wanted to walk down to the ice cream shop, and I think we all know how that story ends. With a costume change.



Finally, the sun started going down and it was time for Laney and me to go to the airport to pick up our oldest, dearest, bestest friends - Karen and Samantha - who were headed to town for a visit. Laney was so excited for Sam to get here that we waited right by the tarmac fence until their plane arrived. When passengers started deplaning, Laney went into her happy dance. Or was being pursued by a bee. Or was having some kind of fit. Hard to tell.






The classics never go out of style, and this includes hanging out on the Oversize Luggage shelf at the airport. Amazing the difference 8 months (and one photography class) can make:

August 2011
Yesterday

The highlight of my whole day: Laney and Sam are even steven when it comes to talking - both of you love to do it so much, you couldn't possibly stop.  In the truck ride home from the airport, Sam started belting out a spirited version of Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star. As Sam started singing  louder and louder, building to a big finish (I couldn't see her; I can only assume she was using jazz hands), Laney covered her ears and said, "Sam, I can't take the noise. You're driving me crazy. I can't hear it. I can't hear it." This is exactly my internal monologue every time Laney talks for three hours without taking a breath. The fact that I have never actually said this aloud is how I earned my little painted rock.

Laney was so excited by Sam's arrival that she couldn't get to sleep until three hours past her bedtime. We're all dragging a little today, but can't wait to see what adventures this week will hold.

Love,
Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment