Tuesday, May 22, 2012

She's So Glamorous




Hey y'all -

I'm on a business trip, shooting a web video campaign for an underwear company. There are friends of mine who think my job is glamorous, but they are wrong and here's why:

On Monday morning, Hagen woke me up at 1am, Laney woke me up at 2am, and at 3am, I figured I might as well get up and get ready to drive to the airport for my 6am flight. I made it to town a little after 4am and had some time to kill, so I went shopping at Walmart. You know who shops at Walmart at 4am? Crazies. And you know who works there? Craziers.

Here's a fun statistic: It's 31 miles from our house to the Missoula airport. On my drive in on Monday morning, I passed exactly three (3) other vehicles.

My flight was delayed in Salt Lake City, so I didn't make it into Newark until 7p, and then had to wait around until 10p to pick up my also-delayed cameraman. And THEN we had to drive from Newark to Poughkeepsie for our first day of shooting. I passed about three billion (3,000,000,000) other vehicles. I made it to bed around 2am, and then had an 7:30am call time.

This morning was the first day of shooting. It's a "rugged, masculine" campaign, so we're filming the models in tents, by campfires, etc. Basically, I left a rustic cabin in the boonies of Montana so I could fly across the country and film people cavorting around a rustic cabin in the boonies of New York.

Your dad would have been so proud of me, because I put up our prop tent in no time and lit a great campfire. Unfortunately, during the very first shot of the day, I also stepped into a muddy pond and had to spend the rest of the twelve-hour shoot in disgusting soggy pants and wet shoes. There's nothing in the world like spending your day sweating in hot, wet denim, lugging around gear and props with flat hair and melting make-up as you're capturing images of a 6 ft tall perfectly-groomed Amazon from France with zero body fat.

Tomorrow, we move into the city for our second and final day of shooting, but mostly I wish I was home on the couch watching Doc McStuffins* with you guys.

Love,
Mom

* Doc McStuffins is a new cartoon that Laney's hooked on. On the show, Doc McStuffins is a little girl who's a "toy doctor," who fixes up broken or injured toys. As a result of watching this show for a few weeks, one of Laney's favorite things to do is grab a flashlight and examine an adult's ears and eyes and then yell, "I HAVE A DIAGNOSIS!" If you weren't familiar with the show, I'd imagine this would be an unsettling thing to hear from a toddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment