Friday, October 15, 2010

Laney & The Backyardigans


Dear Laney,

For over a year now, you have ignored the television set entirely. Occasionally, you'll rock out to the "Jeopardy" theme song, but that's about it.

This week, I've had to work twice the hours that I normally do, and I've been trying to work 10+ hour days while also entertaining you. A few days ago, in a fit of desperation, I cranked up our Instant Netflix account and turned on the first season of "The Backyardigans," a show I had never heard of.

To say that you loved it would be an understatement. To say that you loved it like my mama loves outlet malls would still not quite hit the mark. You're obsessed.

All day yesterday, you followed me around the house, grunting and holding out the TV remote. When your dad came home last night, you followed him around, too, and I had to explain, "P.S, she's now fixated on a cartoon about an ethnically diverse group of animals who have imaginary adventures in their communal backyard." This is the kind of development that can happen when your dad leaves the house for 14 hours.

So last night, instead of watching "Jeopardy," your dad and I watched an episode of the Backyardigans about going to Mars, and how astronauts never give up.



Neither do you, Laney. Neither do you.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment