Wednesday, October 27, 2010

They Say It's My Birthday


Dear Laney,

When I was little, I thought the greatest thing that could happen to you on your birthday would be a trip to Showbiz Pizza with your friends, where you could spend hours playing skeeball and having an animatronic gorilla sing you "Happy Birthday."

I've since learned that birthdays can be way cooler than that - like the one I had today.

You and I went into town on the hunt for the perfect waffle iron (stick with me, it gets better), and then stopped in the mall so you could play on the train playground. Here's what you tend to do in a playground situation: stand right in the middle of the most high-traffic spot and then stare at the other kids as they have to wiggle themselves around you to get on the slide. I have no idea why you do this - maybe you should start collecting tickets or something, since you're already standing there.


Then, we met your dad downtown for pizza. At this point, you were probably starting to suspect that it was actually YOUR birthday.



We came home to discover that I'd received a bunch of gifts from friends, which made me feel really special, and a bunch of messages on the answering machine that I'm sure you'll be replaying for days.

When Dad got home, he surprised us with a cake, which reminds me...this is what you had for dinner last night: popcorn, smoked cheddar on Triscuits, a piece of chocolate cake and two Milk Duds. I know it's really really really bad parenting to let your toddler eat as though she's at a cocktail party, and this definitely falls under the category of "Don't Tell Dr. Hoover."

When you went to bed, I went into Alberton and had a drink with The Other Brooke. We had a great time, and Todd and Cedar walked over, too, so we all got to sit outside in downtown Alberton and eat french fries and more cake (except for Cedar - she doesn't like cake).

Thanks for spending my birthday with me and making me feel so special.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment