Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Story Time Miracle


Dear Laney,

There are a lot of things in this world at which I do not excel. I'm disorganized. I lose things. My work ethic is questionable. But let me say this: I can perform the heck out of a children's book. Yes, I use my 100k degree in Theatre to read all of your books aloud in funny voices with kooky inflections*. I gasp! I squeal! We laugh! You even clap for me every time I say "The End."

I don't want to toot my own horn, but toot, baby, toot.

Your dad is a whole 'nother matter. As a personal policy, you do NOT let your dad read to you. If your dad starts reading a book in his perfectly charming monotone, you take it away from him and shake your head, "no." It's kind of heartbreaking to watch, really, and I've been meaning to talk to you about it.

But then tonight - breakthrough! You let your dad read Ten Little Fish to you from beginning to end.



I don't know what made you change your mind, but I know it made your dad very happy, so thank you.

Love,
Mom

* The first use of said degree since it was conferred in 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment