Sunday, March 6, 2011

Our Best Day


Dear Laney,

We dropped Dad off at school yesterday so he could work on his thesis, then you and I had a Girls' Day Out. You were so sweet all day long. (No, really).

We went to the library, where you played with other little girls and picked out a book about going to the pool. I think that's what it's about, anyway...since it's written in Spanish, I'm just guessing. Either way, I'm enjoying reading Vamos A La Piscina!


Then we went to the mall, where I treated you to a grilled cheese at the Italian cafe. the only seats left were at the counter, so you got to sit in a tall chair like a big girl. I think the cook suspected I was crazy, since your head almost didn't clear the counter and he couldn't see who I was talking to. He just knew that my imaginary friend was NOT allowed to jump down from that chair.


After lunch, you wanted to try on shoes. I'm not making this up. You sat down on the Laney-sized bench in the Dillard's shoe department and started putting on the shoes from the display. We didn't find any that fit, because as Amy has helpfully pointed out, your feet are shaped like charcoal briquets.


I let you play on the playground in the mall courtyard, which looked like a scene from Lord of the Flies. Mayhem. There are narrow sets of stairs that you climb to get up to the slide, and when one little red-haired boy decided you were taking too long on the stairs, he tried to elbow his way around you. That's when you pushed him back by shoving his face against the train. I don't know what they're teaching you in daycare, but maybe I should be paying them extra.


We drove over to the University and chased the squirrels while we waited on your dad to finish his work. Unlike the mean, scrawny, working squirrels who live in our yard, these squirrels have no work ethic and have all gained the "freshman 15." These are Belushi squirrels. For a minute, I worried you were actually going to catch one.


Finally, we picked Dad up and went to dinner at Outback, where you performed "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" for our waitress, and she took you for a walk around the restaurant.


I really enjoyed hanging out with you today - you made me laugh all day long.

Love,
Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment