Friday, October 5, 2012

"Are You So, So Mad At Me?"


Dear Laney,

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: silence is the enemy. A loud young'un is an occupied young'un, and I've trained my mom ears to recognize all sorts of noises. In fact, there's probably a game show in having blindfolded moms guess what activity is happening in front of them. For example,  "That's the sound of a three year-old pushing a step stool over to her baby brother's crib so she can climb in and teach him a new game she's invented called, 'BOUNCE, HAGEN, BOUNCE!!!!'"

The other night, your dad and I were sitting on the couch, when we noticed you'd been in the bathroom for a while, and were awfully quiet. When you get tired enough as a parent, you start asking yourselves questions like, "Even if the bathroom is flooded, is it worth getting up?" We decided no. Then I started asking myself what a brilliant three year-old could get herself into, and I imagined you drinking hairspray, so with a sigh, I got up to investigate.

You had set up a mirror, pulled out all of my make-up, and painted the whole bottom half of your face "Coral Reef."






When I opened the bathroom door, you looked up and asked, "Are you so, so mad at me?" And to tell you the truth, I wasn't. I thought it was kind of cool that you had set yourself up a little work station and  started experimenting. So I asked you if you wanted to do MY make-up, and the look on your face was so rapturous that it was totally worth having to wash the heck out of my face when you were done. 

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment